Saturday, July 21, 2007

Fighting Irrationality with Irrationality

OK, so I'm a self-described master of irrationality-- but rarely do I take it too far... at least, I like to think I don't...

OK, let's put it this way, if you do something so irrational that I take offence-- you've done quite well for yourself-- relatively speaking of course. I mean, there are some thoughts and actions so irrational that the only way for me to combat them is to leave behind my irrational, radical ways and come back to common sense.

Take the public smoking ban of Omaha. This week the ban saw it's first challenge in court-- Cougar Lanes, just about 5 miles from where I am, has been ruled to be in compliance with the smoking ban.

At issue is a lounge within the bowling alley. Cougar Lanes maintains that the lounge (I believe 'the Sahara Lounge') is it's own separate facility, a 'stand-alone' bar, and thus open to public smoking. Anti-smokers claim that because the lounge and bowling alley operate under one liquor licence and under one roof, that smoking should be banned. The non-compliance claim also cites an opening between the alley and the lounge does not completely serarate the two facilities.

Now, I know I've touched on this issue once before (28 September 2006 -- Once Again, From the State of Confusion), but I need to renew my objection.

Nowhere does anyone have the right to thrust their ideals unto another person. The smoking ban is definately not on the same level as racial segregation, but you're meddling very close to that line. Now, someone is flipping out right now-- 'How can you compare racism to smoking?'.

I'm not. I said it's getting close.

The difference is that smoking is a choice. It is free will to light up a cigarette, cigar, or pipe. However, to exclude someone because of the choice they made would be like a Christian telling a Hebrew, a Muslim, a Mormon, a Buddhist, or an Aethiest they can not participate in something because of their faith. That, too, is based on a choice-- something that can be helped.

This is not the Crusades. This is a case of someone thinking they are better than someone else. This is another case of NIMBY, no different than dictating where a sex-offender can live (24 October 2005 -- If Not In Your Backyard, Then Where?).

I scoff at the fact that people are are so over-the-top about this that they actually call the police about the smoking ban-- not just calling the police... USING 911! I would love to be the dispatcher who gets a phone call from someone complaining about another person smoking in publice. I would laugh that person off the phone so hard, I'd be fired before I hung up. It is a non-emergency, like a cat up a tree, or loud music next door.

(OK, so much for being rational.)

The reality of the situation is that I compare the people who complain about public smokers to the arrogant bastard at the airport who harasses an airline attendant about catching an earlier flight or moving from a center seat to an aisle seat. You bought your ticket, live with it.

Perhaps a little tolerance is in order. You have to understand that just about everyone is going to do something you don't agree with. But the honus is not on you to change them. The honus is for you to protect yourself.

I suggest non-violent protest. If you are upset that a can of tuna comes from a company that does not have dolphin-safe practices-- buy another brand of tuna. If you're displeased that a bowling alley is attached to a bar where people smoke-- go to one of the other 742 bowling alleys in the city. It's not that difficult.

As a non-smoker, I'm not bothered when others smoke around me. Unless they blow smoke in my face. In all honesty, I see second-hand drinking as a more imminent danger to my health than second-hand smoke... and by second-hand drinking, I mean drunk driving.

Really, if you inhale some second-hand smoke, go home and eat an extra head of broccoli. Besides, how did you ever surive the 60s and 70s when just about everyone smoked?

Or perhaps you should also realize that you are at risk of cancer by simply setting foot outside your door. That's right, the sun causes cancer, too. Maybe you should boycott going outside-- or take it another step further: boycott God-- he created the sun.

(Oh come on, now-- you can't expect me to be rational for an entire blog entry, can you?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home