Friday, March 30, 2007

Life Is Life... Life is Love

Pardon me, this week... apparently I've been a moral compass-- and people aren't liking it.

So, I like to take a stand from time to time... sue me. Though, you should know I'm not perfect, and sometimes I should take my own advice. I have my internal battles.

But while I'm on topic-- and still being a moral compass-- there is one thing that really grinds my gears: The abuse of children.

I can't find an excuse for this anywhere. Because there isn't one. There is nothing that should come between parents and the love for their children. Really. You love someone enough to perform the ultimate act of love with them-- and let's make this crystal-clear, sex is the truest sign of affection for another person and is not to be an abused priviledge-- and then you can't handle the result?

There was a story in the local news about two parents neglecting their infant child by withholding formula. You monsters-- how in the eyes of God can you do such a thing? I can't comprehend it. What possible excuse is there for turning your back on the needs of your child?

(You can't tell right now, but I'm struggling to find the words right now to say about this... I'm just making frustrated noises....)

It's a child. Pure and innocent. Unable to care for his/herself. Dependent on the very love with which he/she was created.

It's disgusting that anyone could be so cruel. I so badly want to scream in anger, or just go off on a profanity-laced tirade about this.

...And then there is the lead story in Omaha...

A 22-year old man is on trial for murdering his 19-year old girlfriend-- whose body has not been found-- with a Bangkok Battlesword.

I'm sure someone, somewhere is going... no body? No crime. I guess that's for the jury to decide, but when you hear the details of the case, and you just get sicker and sicker by the moment.

The missing 19-year old, was pregnant. A pool of her blood was found on the boyfriend's bed, with blood splattered all over the walls. The boyfriend, who also has another girl pregnant (yes-- he's scum) was looking up blood-flow on the internet shortly before girlfriend #1 (or apparently #2 in his case) disappeared.

Seriously, this guy is an ex-wife and about 400 pounds short of being Ted Kennedy. Not too far off.

But this is where I fight one of those internal battles, and I struggle with my Christian teachings...

This guy has clearly selected himself out of society, he was abused love, abused people, and has killed two lives-- yes, a fetus is still a life, not to mention ruining the lives of two others and effecting several others. Killing a pregnant girlfriend is the ultimate in child abuse-- it's abortion... and it's wrong. You've used an act of love to create, then you take a preventative measure to it's life?

I'm sorry, the correct answer was 'abstinence'... ABSTINENCE. You obviously did not love this woman, but you expressed your love for her in a way reserved for the truest of love. See you in hell.

No, he's not on the same level as Hussein, Hitler, Milosevic, Pol Pot, Castro, Bundy, or Gacy... but he has crossed the line... and I think he did it with one life.

The irony of the situation is, the 22-year old is only charged with second degree murder... Bangkok Battlesword, pool of blood, internet search of blood flow, dead pregnant girlfriend-- it doesn't take a leap of faith to see it's premeditated.

The battle I fight with myself is that the Catholic church opposes Capital Punishment, though Old Testament teachings (which seems to be all I remember from four years of Catholic high school, and 26 years of faith) preach 'an eye for an eye'. I see arguments for both sides.

Here I am arguing that these people have committed the most heinous of acts-- taking another persons life-- and that they have selected themselves out of Eden (voted themselves off the planet, if you must go there) and are no longer worthy of living.

So... my answer for taking one's life, is to take one's life? If you use Capital Punishment to put them to death, shouldn't you then put the executioner to death? It's spirals from there. Can I argue being wrong is different than being wrong with a purpose? I mean, you are allowed to protect yourself, right?

Now I'm catching myself in a excuse to kill. Don't get me wrong, killing is wrong... but you see the internal demons lining up for a battle-royale.

So, the phone lines are open... I want to know what you think. Please be open-minded and respectful.

2 Comments:

At 2/4/07 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have struggled with the same issues. I never claim to be a good christian but a practicing one, that means I am fallable. If I put a personal spin on this situation, I have no problem with the death penalty. If this kid (seeing as I am old enough to be his parent I can call him a kid) did anything to harm my child or one of my loved ones, I would perform the execution myself. That is in no way is consistent with the teachings of my faith, but like I said, I'm a practicing Catholic. I haven't gotten it perfect yet.

 
At 2/4/07 5:38 PM, Blogger Sam said...

I totally agree... and I understand that being a Christian sometimes involves putting faith before mind. Part of my falling out of faith in high school was that I put mind before faith, and it didn't go over well with teachers at a certain parochial high school-- to the point that once called me 'a heretic'.

I guess the real qualm I have, is that thankfully neither of us have been in that situation where we have had the opportunity to flip the switch. I'd also like to think that despite what appears to be a blind rage, that perhaps if the killer showed remorse (and I mean before being found guilty... I'm talking having confessed), I could see it in my heart to forgive someone who admitted to wrongdoing.

So, in my own personal conviction, putting the family (and for that matter the rest of the world) through the pain of having to relive the pain, sift through the details for ourselves, and FIND you guilty-- one deserves to be put to death. But if one says: 'I did it, and I'm sorry'... they can live, just under the confines of a prison.

Seems kinda backwards in the thought that the one we KNOW committed the crime gets to live... but I guess it's more like breaking a window when we were young: If you told mom you broke the window, the penalty was less severe than if you broke the window, then lied about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home