Thursday, September 14, 2006

Playing By The Rules

This evening, Brian Williams and the NBC Nightly News released information that the U.S. military leaders in Afghanistan passed on an opportunity to attack the leaders of the Taliban who had all congregated in a funeral-type service last week.

For once, I applaud an action we have taken (or not taken in this instance). To those of you who think we should have taken the opportunity to strike, I ask: have you no respect for the dead?

OK, I understand some of you will point out that a suicide bomber took out several people at a similar gathering on the good-side of the fight. But just because they did it does not make it right for us to follow suit-- and believe me, I am all for 'and eye for an eye'... I even go beyond that and believe in 'The Chicago Way': he shoots you in the foot, you shoot him in the leg... he puts one of your men in the infirmary, you put one of his in the morgue. But you don't mess with people paying their respects for the dead.

Don't believe me? Take a quick look back to the American Civil War. Following the Union victory at Gettysburg, the Rebels were on the run-- but the Union leaders passed on the pursuit, to bury the casualties of the battle. They did the proper thing, and in the end the Gods of War smiled upon them with final victory.

By not attacking this memorial gathering, we have done the right thing. Call it a 'Conscientious Objection'. Just because you are present with the opportunity does not mean you have to take it.

And if you don't like my reasoning... then let's just say its more fun for us to hunt them down, instead of attacking when they're all just standing around-- I really don't know why else we'd pass on it.

However, we must understand that like in Vietnam, the rules of engagement, the rules of war, and the guidelines of the Geneva Convention are not in play with our opponents-- that is, they're not playing by them. And now, we have to decide how we are going to play this out.

Remember, the Brits lost the American Revolution by playing by the rules-- you know, marching in straight lines, not breaking ranks-- while our untrained militiamen picked them off one by one guerilla-style. How soon we forget.

So the first question to be answered is: Are we in a war?

I'm not talking about declaring war on abstracts. No more declring war on terrorism-- that fight is going about as well as our 'war' on drugs. If we are going to be at war, we need to define a specific target, get Congressional approval for said war, and go to town on our sworn enemies.

Right now the American public has no idea what the heck we are doing in the Middle East. We declared war on terrorism, we overthrew a government in Iraq, we've redecorated the typography landscape of several nations, and we've declared "Mission Accomplished".

Did the President not understand that 12-letter word on the banner behind him? "Mission Accomplished" means we have succeeded in our task at hand, and we can move on. But we haven't moved on. We are still fighting in the same spaces, against the same people. Something is amiss in the 'strategery'.

So, let us declare war on a specific target. Declare war against the Taliban. Declare war against Al-Queda. Declare war against Osama bin Laden... better yet, don't declare against him-- declaring against one person is not a good idea, because it gives him way too much attention, and will pretty much turn him into a martyr. Stick with groups.

Then, we must understand that beginning back in the Vietnam Conflict, the rules of war changed-- the goalposts moved. Sticking with traditional military techniques is not going to work against people who refuse to acknowledge the same set of rules. There was no coin flip, nobody to penalize sides for infractions... well, maybe The Hague, but I don't think they are getting involved in this one. I think the Gods of War are waiting for us to accept the change, make the tradition to the new way of fighting, and when we do-- and we go all in on this war, we will be rewarded with victory.

We need to live by former-President Bush's words, even if he didn't: "This [shall] not be another Vietnam. [This] time we are going all the way." No more policing. No more pussyfooting. We need to strike, and strike with confidence, authority, and the full power of the U.S. Military. No more half-hearting it.

"Do or do not. There is no try."

6 Comments:

At 14/9/06 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think rules of engagement only work when all sides follow the same rules, and that obviously isn't happening. I guess I need to be convinced that they were really attending a funeral. If I were the bad guys I would think "the USA will not attack us at a cemetary, sooooo, let's go to the cemetary and plan more ways to kill them." If I can think up that strategy, you can be darn sure they have thought of it. We've seen it done in Iraq. Snipers hide in Mosques and schools, using religion and children as shields. I don't know what the answer is, but I do know I don't trust the Taliban to play fair.

 
At 14/9/06 9:05 PM, Blogger Sam said...

These are the same people who put military instalations below hospitals and schools, and then when we destroy those we look like the bad guys for killing civilians-- though, they did take out about 3,000 innocent civilians 5 years ago. It's hypocritical.

And then I think to myself-- we won't attack them in a cemetery, but there is nothing that says we can't blow everything around said cemetery up, is there?

 
At 22/9/06 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to disagree with you on this one SAM. This was posted by a person who never served in the military, and it shows.

Mark

 
At 22/9/06 11:54 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Thanks for joining the party-- you're right, I never served in the military, nor did I ever say I had. And shame on you for talking down to me because of it. I should point out that President Clinton never served... and for the most part President G. W. Bush didn't either.

Where I fail to see your point is, that I actually defended the actions of our military... for once. They did the right thing by not striking at a funeral. Just because someone else does it, does not make it acceptable for us to do the same. Rules are rules.

The point I was making, was that there are so many different ways to look at every situation... and it is not easy for those in charge to make decisions like this, so we should back off when they have bonaifde reasons for taking or not taking action.

It is when we make mistakes, that those who make the decisions need to come "under fire" for their rationale.

This was not one of those cases. People needed to back off of these military leaders for their choice, in this instance.

 
At 23/9/06 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So the next time the bad guys want to gather together to discuss the next strike in Spain, Israel, England, USA, etc. All they have to do is gather at a "funeral" and they know they will be safe.

This is an enemy that can not be bargained with, can not be reasoned with, and can not be appeased. You find them and kill them when the opportunity presents itself. If it be at a urinal, a funeral, or a wedding, you fight them with the same zeal and tenacity with which they fight you or you don't engage them at all. I didn't mean to talk down to you, that’s the problem with text conversations, intent is hard to discern. I meant that a military person recognizes that you strike a combatant where they are, not when and where it is convenient. The military leaders who made the no call probably made it due to the political pressure ass hat countries like France/Russia/Venezuela would have exerted. I think on this point we are going to disagree, and that's not a bad thing.

Mark

 
At 23/9/06 3:29 PM, Blogger Sam said...

I run into the same confusion in text conversations, all the time... so I appologize for my comment on that. Someday I'll learn.

And seriously, my first response to finding out about this "missed opportunity" was: "why they hell not?" I was with just about everyone else who thought we should've just wiped them out. Then I started thinking... and when I start to think, I usually end up fighting some internal conflict.

You are absolutely right, the political pressure from other nations may have kept us from striking-- but right now we are not exactly blue jeans, if you know what I mean. We have all the popularity of a Klan march through Skokie, Illinois right now... so we probably were not afforded the opportunity to push the line (or rules of engagement).

Under a different governmental regime, we might have been able to strike... and the international fallout would have been: OK, you made your point, just don't do it again. But right now we don't have those international allies. Instead, we are pretty much on probation with the Hague.

I'm not saying I think it is fair for the Taliban to gather at funerals and not expect to be struck down... and I am absolutely livid about how our enemies use human shields, like schools and hospitals... but sometimes we do have to be "the bigger man", and understand that there a right and wrong ways to go about our business.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home