Thursday, July 20, 2006

So, We Meet Again...

As stubborn as I once was about all this cyber-stuff, I guess it's really not all that bad. Obviously I was slow to join the blogging ranks-- and my blog is not near as popular as say, AJ's (though if it weren't for his anti-Husker rants, and the mutants it attracts, he's blog would be a ghost town... kinds like this one). It took me a while to hop into Facebook-- though, there is not a day that goes by that I'm not at least checking in there. And now I'm finally giving in to the peer pressure and updating my MySpace page... when I once believed MySpace was as evil as the Huskers, George Steinbrenner, rap music, and energy drinks combined.

Then again, I also once vowed to never patronize a Starbucks... and that has recently gone out the window.

But to their credit, Facebook and MySpace have opened up a window to the past for me. They have given me an opportunity to reconnect with friends whom I left behind (for whatever reason) more than 10 years ago. And it's not like I was upset with them, it was just that in the journey through life we lost touch.

For me, this is the greatest thing since sliced bread... well, ok... maybe not... this is better than sliced bread, so it's like the greatest thing since unsliced bread... or dirt... or something really really old that was the dawn of a new generation. OK, I'm getting carried away... MySpace is not THAT great, but happening across old friends, people who know me, who understand me, and who don't think I'm a pompous asshole ranks up there somewhere.

You sometimes forget, that despite being nothing more than a benchwarmer in college, when you're an athlete there are evil people who are your friend because of who you are, not who you are (think about that for a moment). I know these friends are true friends, friends I have NEVER had to question my friendship with.

Now, the only question is-- have they found their way here? Either way, just to talk to them again is like making everyday Christmas, and I can't describe how excited I am to catch up with them: I have so much to talk about with them, and I'm sure there is so much they'd like to tell me.

(Haven't I already done a blog on this?)

12 Comments:

At 20/7/06 7:32 AM, Blogger Adam said...

MySpace is interesting...I joined for the social networking factor (and to promote my events) and have reconnected with tons of people from high school and college and its a great (and easy) way to keep in touch...

And yes, there are leeches who want to be around someone for what they have, not who they are...I call them groupies...and they get on my nerves and always want free booze...

 
At 20/7/06 11:32 PM, Blogger Sam said...

This is the price we pay for being minor local celebrities.

 
At 21/7/06 4:05 PM, Blogger Sam said...

I can't hide from any of you, can I? I've had myspazz... I just didn't start updating it until last week-- for like the first 9 months I had it, it was just my name.

 
At 3/8/06 12:55 AM, Blogger Sam said...

did you drink the kool-aid?

 
At 3/8/06 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never been on MySpace ... but if the minor local celebrities are doing it, well...

 
At 3/8/06 11:19 AM, Blogger Adam said...

I wouldn't consider myself a celebrity...more of a public figure and the face of a company...

 
At 4/8/06 7:17 AM, Blogger Adam said...

yeah, I'm the only dude...

 
At 7/8/06 12:03 AM, Blogger Sam said...

As a minor local celebrity (and those were the words of others that I simply repeated here), I am not giving an official endorsement to MySpazz. However, if you know me, feel free to drop me an invite and your name and picture can join that of the girl I had a crush on in 1992.

 
At 9/8/06 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did...you never responded.

 
At 9/8/06 9:50 PM, Blogger Sam said...

I responded... you just didn't like what I said.

 
At 13/8/06 8:41 PM, Blogger Sam said...

what? do you not know my REAL name?

 
At 14/8/06 4:30 PM, Blogger Sam said...

apparently the whole incognito thing is working in someplaces-- automatic doors, my space, rosters...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home