Wednesday, August 23, 2006

More To The Story

OK, I so blasted the local media in my last rant. Maybe I should have sent my blog to them, just so they know people are watching-- or that they have much room or improvement.

Why do I mention this?

Because the entire state has shut down this week to find out where Arizona State Quitter.. er, I mean Quarterback Sam Keller is transferring to. Apparently just the thought of him coming to the Nebraska State Pennitentiary (know to the locals as the University of Nebraska-Lincoln) was enough for a state holiday and 30-minute newscasts to be entirely dedicated to him.

I think there was a question over whether he would qualify for enrollment at UNL, but low and behold I'm sure they found a criminal record on him-- probably for MIP or an indictment for rape or something-- but they found something and he's in.

I really don't know the ramifications of this move, nor do I care... but it gets better.

KMTV (now known as KM3, or Action 3 News-- how 80s of them) broke into their 10 PM newscast with the following breaking news: You are seeing live coverage of the result of a police chase...

(wait for it)

... in Middlesex, New Jersey.

Who the fuck cares? The guy is stopped... and even if he wasn't, there is no way in hell his tank of gas lasts long enough for him to make it to Omaha. And I find it very unlikely that this person in New Jersey is going to be showing up on my doorstep. Was he planning on blowing up a building? Did the chase start in Des Moines? What exactly is the reason you're breaking into coverage for this 15 second video from a helicopter showing us a stopped car and an arrest.

Long story: short, the implications of this "breaking news" for those of in Omaha is nil. Though, I'm sure the local media will find the "Omaha Connection"-- they seem to enjoy tying everything in the world to Omaha-- things like he once thought about visiting his ex-girlfriend's mother's uncle's brother-in-law's second cousin twice removed who once bumped into Andy Roddick at a mall in Warwick, Rhode Island... the significance being that Roddick was born in Omaha (and within like 5 minutes of his birth his family moved to Florida).

Honestly, local interest, people. Not random acts, and vague connections. Solid, news.

Is anyone else understanding why I'm happy to get out of this place?

2 Comments:

At 28/8/06 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 28/8/06 4:04 PM, Blogger Sam said...

really, if those are the only two syllables you can come up with, don't post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home