Friday, December 29, 2006

Get Your Kicks on Route 66

I'm wondering if my brother regifted on me for Christmas, or simply returned the favour. For his birthday, I got him the movie Cars... and for Christmas, he got me the movie Cars... and I think for my dad's brithday, we're going to get him the movie Cars.

Good movie, nice plot... and best of all it inspired aesthetics and an emotional response. Why make mention of getting the movie for my dad? Because the movie is him...

...and to some extent it is me.

You see, when we travel, my dad does not like to take the interstate system. Part of me believes it is some bitterness with the fact that the Interstate Highway System ultimately led to the end of railroad passenger service. But then part of me also gets it-- you know, the movie. I get that the fastest way to travel is not always the best way to travel.

Ironically, I type this sitting no more than 1,000 feet from where a fatal two- (possibly three-) car accident took place last week.

Personally, I think people need to slow down. James Whitmore said it best in The Shawshank Redemption when he said: ...the world went and got itself in a big damn hurry.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of these "Keep Kids Alive, Drive 25" fools. In fact, I've got two points to make on that topic. First, keep yourself alive, drive with the flow of traffic-- it's called defensive (or responsive) driving-- and everyone needs to do it. And secondly, if you're worried about the cars driving in front of your house-- tell your kids to play in the backyard.

But I do think that there are some people who are going a million miles an hour, and their passing life by. People who are constantly on the move, flying wherever, talking on the Blackberries, or whatever you call them... and shouldn't be bothered.

You know the type... they're the ones always hassling the agent at the airport gate, demanding an aisle seat, or wanting to upgrade to first class. And when things don't go their way, they curse and swear and whine about why they hate the airlines.

The problem isn't the airlines. The problem is you, you cannot be satisfied in anyway, and you scapegoat anyone or anything you can. Believe me, I'm related to one of these types-- and his ways have torn the family apart (but that's not a rant for here).

This same family member, like the others, is 'hassled' by the police in the form of a constant stream of speeding tickets. Have I mentioned I'm also related to a cop? My brother, the cop, will tell you the same thing he tells me-- there are certain behaviours that individuals can participate in, which are taken by the police as an invitation to harrass and hassle you.

Among these behavioural patterns are: speeding, swirving, honking, running over people, waving the middle finger, waving waepons, flashing your brights, making illegal u-turns, not using your turn signal, running red lights, running stop signs, running into light poles, waving weapons at light poles, and inserting your head into your rectum.

It's not an inconvenience, it's a direct result of your actions. And what these people fail to realize is that missing a meeting is not the end of the world. Missing part of life, is.

My point is, we are so intent of getting things done quickly, and getting where we're going that we often miss out on the experience of it all. And if anybody has ever learned anything from me-- I hope its that experience will teach you everything you will ever need to know. It is through my personal experiences that I am able to respond to situations, and help others as they encounter life.

Out there in the world, there are so many things to experience that we often pass on as a matter of convenience. And I get that sometimes travel is done strictly for business purposes. But what about people who fly to Disney World-- have you never seen National Lampoon's Vacation?

OK, not the best example. But our family vacations, were always road trips, and NEVER by interstate. It didn't matter where we went on vacation: St. Louis, Boston, Vancouver... it was always by car.

And as much as I hated spending time in the car with my parents, there are things we've done, that just make you appreciate the tourture that it was... it's a little steakhouse in Miles City, Montanta... it's a rodeo in Cody, Wyoming... it's driving across the Mackinaw Bridge while my mom turned green from her fear of suspension bridges... it's the 'scenery' of Osoyoos, British Columbia... it's a ferry ride to Victoria... it's going through the historical communities that helped make this country as great as it is.

Even the railraods could give you some of that-- you could at least see some of the roadside attractions, and maybe have enough time to take a picture of it. Back in the days of steam, you might've had time to walk through an entire town-- all four blocks of it. Or you can see the Rocky Mountains from a viewpoint only possible by rail. My parents rave about going to San Fransisco by rail a couple years ago-- and the views in the mountains-- they're not the same view you get from the car... and you don't have to worry about steering your car and keeping it on the road-- more time to take it all in.

From an airplane, that's all non-existent. You miss Wall Drug, you miss the waterfalls in the mountains, you miss the best damn steakhouse you've ever been to (yeah, my mind's back in Miles City, again), and you miss being able to say you've been somewhere.

Though, if you've ever flown into Reagan National Airport in Washington, D.C. I will say that view of the monuments is fricken' awesome. But I'm sure some of you are too wrapped up in your work-- or something allegedly more important than life itself-- to stop, take a breath, and look out the window.

Life is out there. Don't let the world pass you by. Experience it. Live it. Just slow down, and take it all in.

4 Comments:

At 30/12/06 12:44 PM, Blogger 66 Productions said...

I completely agree with your thoughts about traveling and actually seeing the country in which we live, or whatever country you happen to be traveling through. You cannot adequately see the world you are passing through while driving a car along a four-lane (or more!) at 75mph. This ties right in to a conversation that I was having online on someone else's blog and my own.

 
At 31/12/06 4:30 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Thanks for the links.

I don't think that people realize that they are passing up on the history of this country.

I get that sometimes you're on a timeline... but on vacation-- forget flying if you're staying continental. Drive, take the train... see the sights, relieve the history.

Nostalgia is one of the greatest emotional triggers there is.

Instead of burying themselves in their work, they should emmerse themselves in culture.

 
At 10/1/07 10:04 AM, Blogger vcthree said...

This has to be one of your best posts ever. And I mean that.

I think as we get older, we start to appeciate time a heck of a lot better than we did when we were teenagers or kids. See, when you're young, everything has to be fast; everything is a race to something, except there's no checkered flag, no points for position, no cash prize. Even I think that, as other people need to cool it when they're driving, so do I.

 
At 5/2/07 7:41 PM, Blogger Tom said...

I worked at Wall Drug one summer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home