Friday, March 10, 2006

The Wild World of Snorts

OK, most don't like soccer, so this goes relatively unnoticed.

LA Galaxy of MLS (the rest of the world's reserve system) loses in CONCACAF (which is some godawful abreviation for North America, Central America, and the Carribean-- any one got a clue how they came up with it?) Champions League. On the way home from the match, their team president dies-- on the flight. Think they want that game back?

But that's not the worst thing to happen to the MLS today.

4 words: Red Bull New York.

Red Bull? This has got to be... you know what-- fuck it... Matty, this one is all yours.

** OK, Matty just got back to me, he doesn't want to take the first shot on this one. Damn you. You better say something good in the comments.

Red Bull? What are you-- the new Microsoft? Are you making a run a golbal domination? You now have a Formula One Racing team, a European Hockey Club, and now a quasi-major soccer club. Honestly, I don't care. I'm still not drinking your product. I don't go for energy drinks-- for me, its rest and good old-fashioned teeth-rotting Coca-Cola. If I'm looking for a boost of energy, maybe I'll load up on pixie sticks, but not energy drinks. I'm sure there is something bad about drinking high quantities of Red Bull or whatever-- and I'm sure it comes in two parts, one being issues of sleep irregularity (I'm guessing the second is that it rots out your stomach). It makes you long for the days of Jolt Cola (I never had that either, but my brother did... once, he'll never do THAT again. Makes me wonder what happens if I mix Jolt and NyQuil.

I don't have a problem with Red Bull owning the team-- but to call them Red Bull New York-- gimme a fricken break. Then again, I didn't like the Metrostars name. BRING BACK THE COSMOS. **

How bad would it be if the USA loses to South Africa tomorrow, eliminating themselves from the World Baseball Classic? Then again, if Rocket wants to go out with gusto-- that would do it.

Twenty five deadline deals in the NHL involving 40 players. Just for those of wondering, NONE of the deals involved me-- though I heard a rumor that back at the Hockey Canada roster deadline in January that my playing rights were dealt several more times.

Nebraska-Omaha's hockey team makes the journey back to Marquette, Michigan to take on Northern Michigan in a second round knock-down drag-out battle for the right to go to the Joe. I have one question about the series: What's higher-- Mojo's blood pressure, or his blood-alcohol content?

Have a great weekend.

4 Comments:

At 10/3/06 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Red Bull also holds the naming rights for Salzburg's soccer team in the Austrian top flight. Like what I guess they want to do with RBNY and the new stadium they'd like to build, they put the Red Bull name and logo on pretty much everything having to with the Salzburg club, including a big Red Bull logo painted into the seats in the stadium.

I'm probably not quite as outraged about it as you are - you know I'm a Rapids fan, but I don't follow them quite as much as I do Manchester City - but to be honest I think this was a long time coming for MLS. The league's doing pretty well financially, but I thought it was inevitable that the league would try something as ridiculous as this to pull in new casual fans. This is beyond ghey, though, and I don't think it'll work, other than for fans of other clubs to take the piss out of the RBNY supporters who surely hate the name more than any of the rest of us.

 
At 10/3/06 1:38 AM, Blogger Sam said...

disappointing, Matty. I expected more.

Could be worse, it vould be Olympic hockey sweaters all over again.

 
At 14/3/06 2:40 PM, Blogger vcthree said...

I knew someone who drank Red Bull constantly. I never understood why, nor do I want to, really. If I need a jolt, I usually make mine Dew, Pepper, Pepsi (all diet), or tea.

 
At 14/3/06 10:29 PM, Blogger Sam said...

I got a message for Red Bull: What the fuck is an energy drink? If you want to creat energy-- come find us when you can power a car!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home