Monday, January 02, 2006

Do You Have Any Regrets?

Happy New Year.

I guess it is time to make a New Year's Resolution. Actually, no. Not for me.

Why make a resolution? I already have ambitions. I'm already looking forward to a few events this year-- my graduation (if the U permits it to happen), my brother's wedding, and several others.

But here's the thing about resolutions-- How many people talk about how they never keep their resolutions?

There you go. You regret not doing something. And you can't live in the past-- you can't dwell on your failures. Move forward, get on with your life. Don't cry over something that didn't happen. It was never meant to be.

I know a few people have some regrets.

Matty (not seriously, of course) wishes he could go back in time to March 2001 when UNO played Findlay in hockey... only to chant: "You'll be back in NEVER!" (The joke being, Findlay dropped their varsity hockey program following the 2003-04 season).

I think some people should have regrets. There are many people who have seriously wronged people, themselves, and the world to the point where they should never forget what they did. Things like the Holocaust (and other acts of genocide, prejudice, or social inacceptablility), and anyone involved.

Do I have any regrets? No.

I've been on this planet just short of 25 years. And I really have no regrets. I apologize for mooning my babysitter when I was 5, but an apology should cover that-- there is really no way to make amends for mooning a babysitter.

I don't regret a decision I've made, because those decision have made me the person I am today-- an intelligent gentleman. I am blessed to have been raised by my parents, because quite frankly they could have done worse.

So lets not talk about how things could have been better. Just remember there are people who are not as fortunate as we are. If you think you have life bad... if you have fucked up in some way-- think about it.

I think my background in hockey for many lessons. There are a lot of things I might still be learning had I not pursued my opportunities in hockey. And in all honesty, the most important lesson isn't something I learned in my travels, just simply in playing the game.

Coach Al Murdoch use to tell me "if you give a goal... wipe the slate clean, play shutout hockey from that point."

He's right... and it goes for life to. If you fuck up-- make amends for it. You learn your lesson, and you move on. Forget the bad thing that happened.

You can't live in the past. You can't live in the future either.

You can only live. So let's live for today.

2 Comments:

At 2/1/06 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how you remember that joke.

Get out of my mind. :p

 
At 3/1/06 1:31 AM, Blogger Sam said...

Haha... I know all... I see all... I remember all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home