Friday, March 03, 2006

While I Have a Few Moments

I have a few moments here to actually blog. Television producership has pretty much taken over my life, and will for at least the next month. Unfortunately, that means that the special editions I had planned for this month are pretty much on hold-- unless Joel, AJ, or Matty want to run with the idea.

But there are a few things I have had on my mind.

I got my wisdom teeth out a week ago. And I thought 'wisdom teeth' was just a name. I didn't realize that having them (all 4) removed would turn me into a bumbling idiot who doesn't know what to do anymore.

I believe I've blogged before on my proposal for a relegation system for all 4 major sports in North America. Take a look at the NHL and AHL standings throughout this season. The first team from the NHL that would get relegated-- the Pittsburgh Penguins. You know who would be in a strong position for promotion? -- the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, their AHL affiliate. Hmmmm...

The NCAA is taking away scholarships form teams that fail to meet certain academic requirements. Great, just what we need, another reason for the Huskers to all enroll in Underwater Basketweaving 101 and Reading Modern Classics. What modern classics, do you ask? "Dick and Jane at the Seashore" and "Run Spot Run". What a joke. This is just going to lead to another grade fixing scandal so teams don't lose scholarships.

While I'm letting in to Myles Brand (what a hostile and abusive name) and the NCAA. Who are they to decide what teams can be called? There is some historical value to some names. And others don't have much of a choice. First, I think it's great that Florida State was able to parade some natives infront of Myles to convince him they have permission to use the Seminole name. OK, but Illinois does not have that option. The Illni were pretty much obliterated by the white man. So, 1. they can't find anyone of the heritage to support the name, but 2. there is nobody to be offended by the name. And if Illinois can't be the Illini. What you you do with Indiana? Do they need to change the name of the state? C'mon, don't stop with mascots. Many people do not like the use of the word Indian.

The NCAA needs to worry about what is right for student-athletes, not their own image. These kids are in school to learn, they're not there to play sports-- in many cases their athletic abilities are providing the opportunity for them to get an education... and the education is the focus of these institutions.

What is in the water in Indianapolis. First Tony George, now Myles Brand... I hope for the sake of the locals it's just a coincidence they reside there.

Ah, Tony George... see that light blinking in the corner of your eye? It's your career dicipation light-- it just kicked into high gear.

Talks of a merger/reconsiilation between Champ Car and IRL. Did TG finally realize how embarrassing it would be if he didn't field 33 cars for the Indy 500? Competition is gone from both leagues, the time for the merger is now. And hopefully we'll see a bunch of 1-off teams at Indy, soon. Once the rift is closed, qualifying for Indy will have some excitement.

And before I leave, UNO plays Bowling Green State University in the CCHA playoffs this weekend. AJ, Matty, and the rest of Mav Hockey Nation love to pick on the Tootsie Roll Perverts. Personally, I think I should help Bowling Green, Ohio with their image. Just a few selections of my love for the suburb of Toledo:

Bowling Green, Ohio: Walmart -- Next 4 Exits
Bowling Green, Ohio: Beacuse Plattsmouth, Nebraska was too posh for us.
Bowling Green, Ohio: You sure do got a purdy mouth!
Bowling Green, Ohio: Imagine King Lake, with a few more teeth, and one less lake.
Bowling Green, Ohio: Someone had to make Toledo look good.

Have a great weekend, folks!

1 Comments:

At 4/3/06 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Color me odd, but i don't understand why people like SAM and others have a need to make fun of other CCHA schools, their city or their state? I guess you pull down others to make yourself and your pitiful life better?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home