Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Do I Look that Dumb?

No, really. Was that supposed to be a compliment?

Apparently people are paying attention to the way I look now. I'm sorry. I didn't realize my appearance meant that much to you. But it's nice to know I'm turning some heads. Though, maybe you should pay more attention.

I know it's not often that I wear perscription glasses. (I say perscription because I am frequently seen with sunglasses on-- daytime, nighttime, indoors, outdoors.) But I guess people are starting to look me in the eye or something.

The past couple of days, I have been sporting my reading glasses, and a couple of people have commented that I looked "smarter" with them on.

Thanks, I think.

Are you trying to tell me I'm dumb? Maybe I should remind one of the commenters that I kicked his ass at 'Scene It', and have yet to embarrass myself on trivia nights.

Four words for you buddy: "The Grapes of Wrath". (Those at trivia night know what I mean. Joel, help 'em out.)

You know, it's not easy for a student-athlete to rid themselves of the "dumb jock" lable... but maybe I should remind people that I wasn't much of a student-athlete-- Jole likes to refer to my blog as "Sam's View from the End of the Bench". So obviously, I've never relied on my hockey playing abilities to get me anwhere in life. It would have been nice if I was good enough to earn a scholarship somewhere, but that didn't happen, and I am content having been a walk-on. (Though I did have one scholarship offer-- as much of a farce as it may have been.)

OK, so I was not in the top 50% of my graduating class. I went to a parochial school, those numbers are skewd. I mean, I was 48th percentile... and that was with a 3.1 GPA. I don't mean to brag, but in the interest of clarifying-- I'm currently carrying a 3.3 GPA in college. I'd qualify to graduate with honours (if I don't bomb the next two semesters). And the last time I took an IQ test, I scored a 164. That's high genius range, and that was like 5 years ago. And I was always labled with "the smart kids" in grade school.

Don't think of me as dumb. I am not a dumb jock. Remember: crazy, not stupid.

I know I don't wear my glasses very often. Usually, I only wear them when I've taken a knock to the head, or I'm just worn out or tired-- I've been wearing them a lot recently. Every once in a while I wear them just for a different look. But it seems like some kind of a coup when I do.

Thanks for noticing.

You might have to get used to it. Anybody remember Johnny Onthespot from "Spoofed News"? Aha! I was wearing glasses, wasn't I? Why? Because in case you haven't noticed, I have very deep, dark eyes. The cameras don't like my eyes (or my face). My eyes caused a lighting problem (shadows), so to correct it, I wore glasses. I suspect if I get into broadcast news after I graduate, the glasses may become more of a permanent fixture-- unless there is a great make-up artist where I work.

I said make-up artist, not MAKE OUT artist.

Of course, it could be worse. Do I need to post Adam's yearbook picture from his freshman year of high school? Or should I just post a link to where you can find it?

I'd rather be smart, than look it. I mean, obviously there are some people who think I look good with glasses, and others who like me without. There may even be a few who are indiffrent to it. Doesn't matter to me. It doesn't matter to me how I look-- it's not like I have to look at myself.

Who's dumb now?

14 Comments:

At 16/11/05 3:55 PM, Blogger Adam said...

I looked like every kid in 1995 did then...shaggy hair and big glasses...

Every now and again I bust out my specs and people always say something about it...at least they notice.

 
At 16/11/05 4:18 PM, Blogger Sam said...

do we need to take a vote?

 
At 16/11/05 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quite frankly, I don't want to know whether you have deep, dark eyes. You see, I have this condition where I only like girls. :p

 
At 16/11/05 6:40 PM, Blogger Sam said...

so how's that going for you, Matty?

 
At 17/11/05 3:42 PM, Blogger vcthree said...

After the hyperglycemia I got last year, I had prescription glasses for a spell last winter. I don't use prescription glasses now, but every now and again, I'll go to the drugstore and buy some reading glasses with 1.25 polarity, so I can relax the strain on my eyes. And in the future, I may have to go prescription full time, but that's based on how the regress of my eyes go over time. Yet when I choose to wear them, people are always suprised to see me with them on--it's like you all of a sudden gained about 50 points on your I.Q. by wearing frames. I never understood that, but I guess that's a conditioned perception from, like, 1984. Eh.

 
At 17/11/05 8:37 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Does waering glasses make us nerds?
(We know it does for Adam.)

 
At 17/11/05 11:32 PM, Blogger Sam said...

...and yet, Mr. "Grapes of Wrath" reamins silent. Joel, do we need to call him out?

 
At 18/11/05 10:22 AM, Blogger vcthree said...

Hey, I don't care; call me a nerd. I'll cop to it, 100%.

 
At 18/11/05 5:10 PM, Blogger Sam said...

NERD! :)

 
At 21/11/05 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think he reads your blog. But I will be sure to point it out to him ... and request you as a teammate (only if you're wearing the smart glasses though) for our next rematch.

MavBridget

 
At 21/11/05 7:05 PM, Blogger Sam said...

yes, but I know you, Joel, and the scrapbooker are all here frequently.

 
At 28/11/05 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think glasses are hot on guys. *smirk*

~Nina

 
At 30/11/05 11:26 PM, Blogger Sam said...

I should've had them with me in Chicago!

 
At 4/12/05 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe you should have...... ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home