Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Who Are You to Judge?

Call me a hypocrite. We are all guilty of it. And there is no other way to talk about it than to be hypocritical. You know what I'm refering to.

Those little comments we make about each other to our friends. Some of us are worse than others. But why do we do it? It is one of those things that we find socially acceptable because everyone else does it?

I just don't get what you can accomplish by talking about someone (and their life) to a third party. My mother is the worst at this. She can't help but make her own commentary about the way someone lives. She blasts me, my father, my brother, her father, her mother-- and there is irony there-- her in-laws, her friends, her coworkers, her patients, people she just met... nobody is safe.

And most of the time it's about people I don't know, or something I don't care to know about. And I understand, when she bags on my brother, or me. File that under "Mother Allegedly Knows Best". And my dad, classify that as nagging. But her parents? If I were to talk to her like that, I'd have to deal with her wrath. You know, that point in time when your mother says to you: "I brought you into the world, and I can take you out of it, too." (Whatever that means, I don't think that will fly in court on a murder charge, but OK, whatever.)

The irony is, her mother is the same way-- and my mom can't stand it. When her parents come to visit, a frequent sound is of my grandmother talking about people who my mother met once, when she was 6 (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, people wrote with feathers, and televisions had no colour-- when TVs were just black and white, could people see in colour? Or was it like 'Pleasantville'?), and going through the entire history, all while my mother rolls her eyes and grinds her teeth. If you don't like it when your mother does it-- why torture us?

And then there is a friend of mine. Always talking about her sister, her brother-in-law, her parents... to me. Why? I hardly know these people. Do I care that you think your brother-in-law is a useles pile of dung? Do I care that you think your sister made the biggest mistake of her life? No. But if you care so much-- tell her, see how that goes over.

The point is, it's not your life. You didn't make the decisions. And there is certainly nothing you can do or say to change it-- especially when you say it to a third party! People do learn from their mistakes. And we all make mistakes. None of us are perfect-- and as such, none of us have any reason to think we could do better with someone else's life. So stop doing it!

4 Comments:

At 31/8/05 12:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I finally make it into your blog?

 
At 31/8/05 10:05 AM, Blogger Sam said...

depends... do you have a name?

 
At 31/8/05 1:34 PM, Blogger vcthree said...

That was a chief problem that I had with my former girlfriend. She used to just make a snap judgement on me and my family based on little things of zero signifigance. Saying stuff like my mom was controlling me, my sister was stupid, and I was letting people do...whatever. She was also critical of her own family, which...well, we all can be critical of our family at times. Still, I spoke with her mom, as well as met her sister, and they were'nt as bad as she sometimes made it out to be.

The way I saw it, I wasn't in a position to criticize her family ad hominem, and she sure as hell wasn't in a position to criticize mine, and I had to yell at her more than once on occasion because of that. There's more to that story than I have the space here to put down, but I'll save all that for my space on the web. (Coming Soon)

Sure, I've been critical of people I've know, and decisions they've made. But I'm always aware that those choices are their own, and there ain't much I can do to change it by criticizing it to another person. If I'm doing that, I'm stating it to get a person's perspective of a situation, just to see how different people view it, and then just leave it be. But Mav's right: if you think something is wrong with the way someone is living, sack up and tell them to their face; don't save that for a random person you talk to on a daily basis and just ramble on and on and on about how this person sucks. Especially if they're in your own family. Because anyone can just start an echo chamber of criticism and derision with anyobody. It takes real brass to state that same criticism to someone in front of your face.

 
At 31/8/05 1:45 PM, Blogger Sam said...

right on, VC... did you get all that Jen... er... I mean anonymous?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home