Monday, August 15, 2005

Natalie, Me, and Tommy Lee

Well, crap.

I was hoping to totally avoid this whole clusterfuck that is the NBC show "Tommy Lee Goes to College". I hadn't planned on watching it. I wasn't planning on discussing it. I was hoping it wouldn't last more than two weeks. But now, I've been dragged into it.

I know "the hot tutor". I went to high school with Natalie Riedmann, and her sister-- her sister was a year ahead of me, Natalie herself I believe was two years behind. And yes, she was as hot then, as she is now. I wanted her. I think we all did.

So what is the significance of this? Nothing really, other than I remember taking a computer programming class with her. And actually, I remember helping her with several projects-- when we weren' passing emails making fun of the teacher or other faculty members. Of course, she wasn't an idiot-- both her and her sister were very intelligent (surprising if you've seen Natalie-- she comes across as someone who'd get by on looks) and well versed in mathematics. But hey-- I tutored "the hot tutor". Not that I care, not that it should matter to anyone else. It just gave me a reason to blog today.

OK, on to the rant.

The show is stupid idea. Wow, a 41-year old moron goes to the biggest party school in the land. I mean, at Nebraska (Lincoln) instead of listing your honours at graduation, they read your rap sheets. The football team collects arrests and bought-out acquittals like the Florida State football team collects those little tomahawk stickers.

Do you want to turn some heads? Do you you really want to piss some people off? Send Tommy Lee to Yale. Or maybe Princeton. Or Duke. Or at least some semblence of an actual respected academic isnstitution-- Tommy Lee becomes a Gamecock. Hell, he's halfway there-- if you know what I mean.

People wonder why I want out of this god-forsaken state. It's stupid shit like this... and the future Governor Osborne... and I don't mean to insult some of my friends here, but even some of them can't believe the garbage that goes on here.

So in closing...

Welcome to Nebraska: Where the people are as dull as the land, and the gene pool is as shallow as the Platte.

7 Comments:

At 15/8/05 2:24 PM, Blogger Emily said...

"Tommy Lee becomes a Gamecock"

Sam, what exactly is that supposed to mean?!? You do know that's my alma mater!!!!!

I'm looking forward to watching, as you no doubt found out from my blog.

 
At 15/8/05 2:59 PM, Blogger Sam said...

I'm saying South Carolina is a more distinguished school than Nebraska-- then again, it doesn't take much.

OK, second try at it... South Carolina, while not in comparison to Duke and the Ivy League schools... is a very solid institution for higher level learning.

(and how did I know you'd rip into me for that?)

 
At 15/8/05 3:13 PM, Blogger Emily said...

LOL, whew! just as long as it wasn't a slam ;) And if you really want to get out of Nebraska, you should! where would you like to see/live?

 
At 15/8/05 3:34 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Right now, I'm planning on going back to Illinois-- if the NCAA hasn't changed the name of the state by then. But I'll probably be in Central Illinois, as opposed to suburban Chicago where I grew up.

A lot depends on where I can get a job. You know of anywhere?

 
At 15/8/05 3:48 PM, Blogger vcthree said...

I think the title says it all: "Tommy Lee Goes to College".

Network TV is running out of ideas, and fast. We're cruising directly towards "The Truman Show" every single day crap like this or "Being Bobby Brown" airs. This isn't a good trend for television.

 
At 16/8/05 11:44 AM, Blogger Sam said...

decent place to visit. but be prepared for the landslide of hype that is the Nebraska State Penitentiary Football Team.

Actually, there are some great poeple out here (96 is not one of them), and some great sites-- we just have a lot of space in between them.

 
At 16/8/05 11:21 PM, Blogger Coach said...

Hey now, I take some offense to your final thought there...I'm born and raised here, and I actually like Nebraska.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home