Friday, August 12, 2005

AK47s for Hunting?

The state of Iowa recently approved the use of AK47s in an attempt to keep the deer population down in southern portions od Iowa.

Is that really necessary?

First of all, while I am not totally opposed to hunting, it is something you will never see me do. But I do understand, it is a part of culture-- native culture. The natives of this land needed to hunt bear, buffalo, snake, bird, and other various creatures of the world for food, shelter, clothing, and other important facits of life. To them hunting wasn't a sport. It was a matter of life and death. And they treated it as such.

Secondly, they didn't use guns. To defeat the creatures of the would, they used the supplies of the world-- sticks, stones, etc-- things they picked up from the land, and sculpted into arrows, tomahawks, and other weapons. They didn't have guns, or explosives. They were resourceful. They had to. Blowing a huge hole in the side of a buffalo puts a hinderence in the way of using that hide at the caover for your tepee.

Which brings me to point three... the fact that we, in this present day, have become wasteful. The natives used every part of the animals they slaughtered. Quite simply, we dont. We blow up these small creatures, and sometime eat their flesh, and sometimes mount their heads on our walls. But what do we do with the bones, and the hooves, and the other parts of the carcases? They go to waste, don't they. Waste, waste, waste.

Our enhancements in technlogy have taken the necessity out of hunting. It is not a way of life anymore, it has become sport-- and that is wrong... sports should be fun, and should not end in death. If you feel the need to go out and find some free deer meat, show us some skill-- use a bow and arrow. Not a gun that should not be allowed to exist on our streets the way it is.

And I know, there is the arguement that "if you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns"... fine. But tell me the use of your gun-- if it is for anything other than shooting someone or something, then you really don't need it.

And the argument that we are attempting to control the animal population doesn't fly either. We are simply enfringing on their land (kinda like we did to the natives), and now we are forcing them into more concentrated areas, where they are bound to clash with us. It's our own fault, people. Besides, Mother Nature has her own ways of control the population, it's called disease and famine-- and she can use it against us, as well. Let her solve the issue in her own way.

Hunting is not a fair fight. A deer, a bear, a buffalo-- they can't hold guns. About the best they can do is kick a rock at you, or make a physical attack. So where is the sport in having a distinct advantage. Lay down your weapons, the British are not coming through your front door-- and we are not being oppressed by the Muslims of the world, we are repressing them.

And if you don't like what I'm saying-- take an aiming pose and look into the mirror. Do you like having guns aimed at you? I doubt it-- so why aim one at anyone or anything else?

19 Comments:

At 12/8/05 3:22 PM, Blogger Adam said...

I've never touched a weapon in my life. I really have no desire to. However, I love it when doctor's that work with my dad send him home with a fully butchered deer. My freezer right now is full of ground venison, venison steaks and venison sausage. I finished the venison jerkey and venison chops that I got. That's using the whole animal.

 
At 12/8/05 3:39 PM, Blogger Sam said...

That's not using the whole animal... because when you are done with the ribs, you throw the bones away.

 
At 13/8/05 8:50 AM, Blogger Adam said...

tru dat...

 
At 13/8/05 11:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's God, not Mother Nature. You should know better.

Also, if I were a deer, I would rather die by a quick shot to the heart than by famine.

 
At 14/8/05 1:09 AM, Blogger Sam said...

Not everyone believes God controls the universe, there Jen. Mother Nature pretty much covers any means.

...and not wanting to die by famine-- that is your personal preference-- and myabe the preference of others... but very rarely do you get to choose the means by which you die.

 
At 15/8/05 11:26 AM, Blogger vcthree said...

I have always wondered why in the world does anyone, let alone hunters, need military rifles to shoot deer.

I don't neccessarily oppose guns, and I understand the need and desire to hunt. What I don't understand is why you need a semi-automatic weapon to achieve any of this. I mean, you can't accomplish the same feat with a Magnum pistol? What, are the deer planning an attack on your community, which is why you need that assault rifle?

Personally, if you need an AK-47 to hunt, you're cheating, and you're a lazy hunter. Go out there with a shotgun if you need to. You don't need Army weapons to kill animals...unless the animals you intend to kill are humans.

 
At 15/8/05 12:09 PM, Blogger Sam said...

I don't understand why you need automatic weapons for "self-defence".

 
At 15/8/05 1:07 PM, Blogger Sam said...

and what did the agressors need them for?

 
At 15/8/05 4:17 PM, Blogger Sam said...

sorry Joel, we might need to Gizoogle that one for everyone to understand.

 
At 17/8/05 8:36 PM, Blogger mattp_68135 said...

Hunting is a great sport and activity. I enjoy it, but I've got to say an AK 47 maybe a tad-bit over the line.

mp.

 
At 21/11/05 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sam. I was looking for deer hunting equipment related information and came across your blog. Very good reading! I have a deer hunting equipment site. You can find info on everything about hunting rifles, scopes, bows, feeders, stands, guides for trips and more. Check it out when you can :)

 
At 26/11/05 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog Sam. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for texas turkey hunting related information and found your site. I have a texas turkey hunting site. You can find info on everything about hunting rifles, scopes, bows, feeders, stands, guides for trips and more. Please try and visit it, see what you think and enjoy!

 
At 4/12/05 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic blog you've got here Sam, I was looking for hunting blinds related information and found your site. I have a hunting blinds site. You can find info on everything about hunting rifles, scopes, bows, feeders, stands, guides for trips and more. Stop by and check it out when you can. Enjoy!

 
At 7/12/05 6:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog Sam. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for hunting blinds related information and found your site. I have a hunting blinds site. You can find info on everything about hunting rifles, scopes, bows, feeders, stands, guides for trips and more. Please try and visit it, see what you think and enjoy!

 
At 9/12/05 7:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog Sam. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for hunting related information and found your site. I have a hunting site. You can find info on everything about hunting rifles, scopes, bows, feeders, stands, guides for trips and more. Please try and visit it, see what you think and enjoy!

 
At 11/12/05 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog Sam. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for hunting related information and found your site. I have a hunting site. You can find info on everything about hunting rifles, scopes, bows, feeders, stands, guides for trips and more. Please try and visit it, see what you think and enjoy!

 
At 18/12/05 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading some of your posts Sam. I was looking for deer hunting supplies related information and found your blog. I have a deer hunting supplies site. You can find info on everything about hunting rifles, scopes, bows, feeders, stands, guides for trips and more. Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 3/1/06 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sam, very unique blog you have! I was looking for hunting blinds related information and came across your site. Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a hunting blinds site. You can find info on everything about hunting rifles, scopes, bows, feeders, stands, guides for trips and more. Please visit and enjoy!

 
At 19/1/06 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic blog you've got here Sam, I was looking for scopes related information and found your site. I have a scopes site. You can find info on everything about hunting rifles, scopes, bows, feeders, stands, guides for trips and more. Stop by and check it out when you can. Enjoy!
If you have a site similar to mine and would like to exchange links, please contact me through my website.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home