Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Good Friends or Not?

To all you women who tell me I'm too good of a friend to date... go to hell.

OK, don't go to hell, but we do have a difference of opinions.

I would rather date a good friend, than to have a relationship based on sex. Call me crazy, but it just makes sense to me. How can there be a future with someone I don't get along with? If I can't stand to be around you, then I'm certainly not going to spend the rest of my life with you, and that means we are just wasting time. And I am too good of a friend to lead you on like that.

And while you think you are being nice to me, I can see through your lie. There is obviously something you don't like about me. Think about it-- I'm being myself, a gentleman and a friend. This is who I am, and you don't think I'm good enough for you.

Is it my looks? Wow, now you're really scoring points with me. I know I'm not the best-looking guy in the world. People don't tell me I look like Brad Pitt-- more times than not they tell me I look like Brad Sherwood. But if you're are going to attribute it to looks, then you are too shallow for me. Have fun with your future marriages and divorces when you can't stand your "hot" husbands.

Do you not like what I do with my spare time? I'm sorry I don't like to go out every night to get drunk, or get laid-- that's not me. I'd much rather socialize, be somewhere we can talk, get to know each other, and discuss the things that bother us. Maybe something that is bothering you, I know something about. Maybe the something changes your view on what happened to you. Maybe I just need someone to listen to me while I get something off my chest. Can you be that person? Are you willing to be that person? Drinking it away, or trying to forget about it won't improve the situation. I'm sorry, I'm not a dance club-type. I don't see the need to go somewhere I don't feel I fit in. I might go there to be with you, but you will have to understand that I'm not comfortable there. I'd much rather curl up with you and watch a movie, or go somewhere to talk with friends.

Tell me what it is. I can handle that you don't like me. But the fact that you can't tell me the truth makes me question our friendship. I know you're lying to me. And if you're lying to me, then you are no friend of mine. I'm better off without you. So before you tell me I'm too good of a friend to date, think about it. Are you being a friend to me?

10 Comments:

At 2/8/05 11:24 AM, Blogger vcthree said...

Amen, brother. Nuff Said.

 
At 2/8/05 12:23 PM, Blogger Adam said...

http://clevelandparkmensclub.blogspot.com/2005/08/women-vs-girls.html

read that...you'll like...

 
At 2/8/05 12:24 PM, Blogger Adam said...

whoops, try this...

 
At 2/8/05 12:24 PM, Blogger Adam said...

dammit...

the link is in my post today...at the bottom...

 
At 3/8/05 1:23 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Sam, you seem like a great guy. You wouldn't want someone who is immature enough to dwell on superficiality. Keep the faith ;)

 
At 3/8/05 1:26 PM, Blogger Sam said...

thank you for getting my point, Em. Of course, I'm my own harshest critic-- and I know I can be abrasive at times. But I live for honesty.

 
At 3/8/05 4:15 PM, Blogger Adam said...

He is a great guy, he loves his whistle and leaks like a seive... ;)

 
At 4/8/05 4:51 PM, Blogger Sam said...

...and apparently, javelin-catching.

 
At 4/8/05 5:21 PM, Blogger The Blogger Formally Known As Van! said...

I second! Fuck the Nay-Sayers! Join the Seminary!

 
At 15/9/05 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww.... good post! it's very true! too many women use the whole "you're too good of a friend" line! way to call them out!! good for you! =)

~Nina

 

Post a Comment

<< Home