Saturday, June 25, 2005

Sigalet for Comeback ESPY

Normally I pay no attention to the ESPYs. Not saying it is a bad idea, it is just something I really don't care about-- just like the Oscars, Emmys, and Grammys (is it me, or do those names make you think of old people?), what happens there really has no effect on my life whatsoever. Besides, they are all political. It is nothing but a popularity contest. If you have really pissed someone off, you don't stand a chance.

But out of all of this, there is a great senitmental story... and it comes from the CCHA. Bowling Green State goaltender Jordan Sigalet. Most of us know his story. His bout with MS, and the support he has gathered in his fight. For him, this must be the best honour yet.

I'm sure many people out in TV-land who saw Sigalet's name come up are going... who? What sport? That is a shame, because there is so much more to the guy. This is the guy who should win the award.

I don't think it is a mystery how hard it is to play goalie in hockey. It certainly isn't as easy as it looks. And Sigalet has done it consistently for the last 3-1/2 years at BGSU. He is a Boston Bruins draft pick, and one hell of an athlete.

Don't believe how good he is? I can sum it up with one comment: I was interviewing UNO Head Coach Mike Kemp, and a member of the Red Army for a television show (which is still in post-production). The topic of enemies of the state (to the Red Army came up). Coach Kemp's answer: Jordan Sigalet, because he's that good.

Sigalet has earned that much respect from his competition, and that was before we found out about his condition.

That said, it is not easy to be a goalie. Now try it with a handicap. Try to stop a puck that travels nearly 100-mph, and do it when your body doesn't exactly do everything you want it to. I'm sure we have all taken our bumps and bruises, and played thrugh injuries-- but this is the epitome of injuries, and it is one that won't go away. He has battled through it, and will continue to do so.

Of course there will be some nay-sayers who will say-- well, he only missed a handful of games. To those people, I say go to hell. Yes, he missed a handful of games... and there will probably be more times that he misses a handful of games because of this. But think about the emotion he had to go through, the consideration that he might never play again, and just the mental toughness it takes for him to step on the ice. The rebounding he had to make is tougher than coming back from a bad night at the office. And there are not many who can relate to him.

And then there is the person Jordan is off the ice. Jordan is a very knowledgable person, and a true diplomat. The first game I ever dressed for UNO, was against Bowling Green. As I walked into the building, standing in the hallway was Jordan-- who stuck out his hand to me and said "congratulations on joining the team." I was clueless, I assumed it was just a local Omaha person, maybe someone I had met before-- wasn't thinking it was an opponent, let alone Jordan. I said "thanks", shook his hand, and continued into the UNO locker room (where I would find the equipment manager ripping the name plate off the #33 sweater).

During the post game handshake, Jordan again came up to me, shook my hand again, and said "welcome back to college hockey". Realizing who had tracked me down before the game, I was a bit embarrassed-- and then add to it the fact that he knew I had played somewhere before. All I could to was blush and smile. It was one of those moments you sorta take for granted, not realizing what is going on until much later. When I found out Jordan had MS, that was the first moment that came back to me-- and then it hits you-- it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

So I now reach out, to honour Jordan once again. Please vote for Jordan for the ESPY.

http://espn.go.com/espy2005/s/05bestcomebacknominees.html?POLL209=3000000000001

The ESPY is where the fans vote really counts. This is not a presidential election. It is OK to vote, and your vote will count. No electoral colleges. No campaign promises that will never be kept. Just a vote for the best comeback of the year. And you don't even have to declare a political party. Vote!

4 Comments:

At 30/6/05 5:18 PM, Blogger Sam said...

you rock, Joel. I should go to campus, go to every computer, and vote... and vote again... and again.

 
At 29/9/05 11:01 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

I really enjoyed your post; it's too bad Jordan didn't win the ESPY. While attending Bruins training camp a few weeks ago, I was surprised to hear that he had MS; he's so good! As a goaltender, I also understand what a tough position it is to play, and I truly admire him for sticking with it. In a time of watching pro athletes fight for money, it's refreshing to see someone who just loves the game. I also had the opportunity meet Jordan at a Providence Bruins preseason game this week, and I have to agree with you - couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

 
At 19/3/06 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been living with blinders on!! I did not know there where Sigalets living in Surrey, B.C.
I thought all of the family lived in the Okanagan area.

I am in complete awe for Jordon Sigalet and pray for a big win with his battle with MS. I hope to have he privilege of meeting him one day.

Michael Sigalet, Vernon British Columbia

 
At 4/2/07 12:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ;)
wow... what brainsick newz!
what do you consider about it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home