Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Method to the Madness

OK, so some of you think I have too much anger. Not really, but it's a great motivator. I mean, if something doesn't make sense to me, why not talk about it? Maybe somebody else knows something that I don't, that brings things into a new perspective. I don't have to be mad to say something isn't right.

Conversation breeds knowledge. It is an exchange of ideas. Like, I said, maybe you know something that I didn't. Or, to the contrary, I might know something that you didn't. Nobody is so shallow that they are dead-set in their ways. Or maybe people are, but my willingness to listend and talk makes me a better (read: more diverse) person.

And I'm sure someone will say: maybe you should take a stand and not be so willing to change. I say, bully.

I think being diverse, being willing to listen, being willing to change, and being willing to sacrifice is a good thing. It is being set in your ways, and forcing those ways on people that makes the world go bad.

So, please, consider this a place to speak your mind, exchange ideas. I'm doing this to benefit all of us. I can't change the world myself, but if a couple of us can come to an agreement that something isn't right, we're moving in the right direction.


PART II: Allegiences

While I'm covering why I am the way I am, let's talk about my allegiences. Especially hockey. Let's just say I have my reasons.

Omaha has a new American Hockey League team, this year. And people don't understand why I'm not on the bandwagon. Quite frankly, I have my personal allegiences with UNO. And I think the reason is obvious.

Being a former player, I have that emotional tie to the program. The AHL stands to hurt UNO, and thus I don't like the new AHL team.

Situations change, so maybe I will eventually warm up to the AHL in Omaha. Maybe I won't. But as it is right now, I could care less about the new team in the Civic Auditorium.

I personally think that what is being perceived as a hatred for all things not UNO, is really just a misinterpretation of my hatred for the USHL's Omaha franchise, the Lancers.

I have two reasons why I don't like the Lancers. The first, and most important is the fact that I played for Sioux City-- one of the Lancers biggest rivals. Of course, the Lancers brought it on themselves. The second reason is Mike Hastings. There is something wrong when you frequently pass someone at the ice rink, and he never responds when you say "Hello, Coach Hastings". Of course, that goes in line with what some scouts told me about him. I'll leave it at that, because I really have nothing nice to say about Hastings.

So, why do I cheer for the teams I do? Loyalty and camaraderie.

Much like how my parents still cheer for their alma mater, I cheer for teams I have played for during my years as a globetrotting hockey player. I also know many of you still follow the high schools you attended. Same difference.

LOYALTY: It doesn't matter if I was there for a season, three months, or three hours (yes, I was with one team for three hours). If I left on positive terms, then I'm proud to be an alumnus.

So, if you want the full and complete list: Skutt Catholic High School, Victoriaville Tigres, London Knights, Iowa State University, Sioux City Musketeers, Texas Tornado, Winnipeg Saints, St. Boniface Seals, Kindersley Klippers, Landmark Blues, Chicago Freeze, Binghamton Tornadoes, Syracuse Jr. Crunch, Cincinnati Cobras, and the University of Nebraska at Omaha.

There it is, those are the no-brainers.

CAMARADERIE: During those years, I met many talented people. Many of whom have gone on to play at much higher levels. And no matter how long I was with the teams they played for, or what my role was, they are my teammates-- and I hope they say the same about me. As a former teammate, I certainly wish them the best of luck in their futures.

I cheer for the North Dakota Fighting Sioux, because their head coach is Dave Hakstol, who coached me in Sioux City. I would have cheered for the New York Rangers, had Chris Holt broken camp with the team. And until he embarrassed himself and the nation (with his play and attitude) at the World Junior Championships in Grand Forks last year, I fully supported Al Montoya, and withheld some distain for the University of Michigan because he (along with Brandon Crawford-West) were teammates with the Texas Tornado.

See, situations change. And if Montoya's attitude changes back to a positive manner, I could easily cheer for him again in the future.

And the cheering for the Rangers thing is tough for me, because I really don't like the Rangers. I grew up a Blackhawks fan, in Chicago-- and people from Chicago don't cheer for teams from New York (and there are other reasons)... but I would have overlooked that to cheer for Holtzy.

I guess what I'm getting at with this, is... don't judge me. I have my reasons. If something I do doesn't make sense-- just ask.

3 Comments:

At 29/9/05 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spammers suck. BTW good blog entry.

 
At 1/10/05 12:30 AM, Blogger Sam said...

you know... posting as Chris can be just as bad as posting as anonymous.

 
At 6/10/05 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I just thought you were sweet on yourself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home